Sunday, November 22, 2009

CFE Hill Repeats / Dryland Training



Today was the Sunday WOD - Congratulations to Kari Lyle for working out with us!

We headed out to the trails at Michigan Tech, for a hill workout on the 'Hairpin Loop.' Skiing for several years, I've always viewed this sign as the equivalent to the Enchanted Forest 'I'd turn back if I were you' sign from the Wizard of Oz.

It goes pretty straight out and almost all down, then a banked turn and almost all straight back up. It's not quite as bad as it sounds, on the way down. It is all of that climbing back up, though.

We warmed up and did XC drills working our way to the bottom, then set up to climb the hill twice. Here's the Crossfit Endurance Workout, scaled:

Run: 2 x .5km hill repeats holding fastest possible pace without deviating more then 1 minute and recovering 1 min before descending hill easy. Repeat after 1 min recovery at bottom of hill... (orig .75 - 1 mile)

Foul: If you deviate more than the specified time.

Foul: 50 alternating "aka Random hand" push ups (orig. 75)


Here's the times over .54km:
CW: 5:15, 4:51
KW: 4:59, 4:51
KL: 5:06, 5:08

CW: working with POSE technique (see posetech.com) and with ski poles, a strain in my right calf about 3/4 of the way uphill. The idea is to immediately pull up the landing foot. I just could not pull it. I worried that I was pushing off, keeping the ball of my foot buried in the ground much too long. I had to stop and walk the last steep section. Endurance was not a problem, though. Second time, I thought I'd try, probably end up walking and doing the penalty. I still could not pull the foot up. Then, I tried it without using the poles. Bingo! My cadence picked up and foot pulls started happening much quicker. The calves, though already strained felt fine! I think that the long time the poles were in the ground held my foot there as well. I felt like the POSE technique was working. I ran all the way up the hill, no stops or slowing. The takeaway for me was: because of no glide, just do the dryland XC drills at steady pace for technique. Fast trail running, forget the poles.


KW: For me, the poles helped. I used them in much the same way as I would have if I were classic skiing. Because I am still rehabbing my knee, I felt that this would take some of the pressure off of the knee, and so would be the way to go. I actually could run for the whole workout. This is the first time back running since my injury. I am pumped! Perhaps I can start running again now. It helps me to always concentrate on relaxing the achilles and calves. I surprised myself, I didn't know how well my leg would cope, but it is getting stronger and stronger now.

CW: So, is one of us wrong? Our conclusions were based on our reasoning of cause and effect. Even though it worked for me, I know that I'm not aware enough of what's going on to accurately judge. It would be nice to get POSE coaching. Perhaps if we got video we could record ourselves and get somebody to take a look at us. Hmm, new gadget lust. ;^)

Kari said she had the strength for the hills, next comes the cardiovascular endurance. Great job and extremely consistent!

Next week we'll be over the river and through the woods, to Mommie's house we go. I'll post a Sunday WOD you can do anywhere on your own for next week.

Ciao,

Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'dja do? Waddya think?